Three 1900 title fights including 2 McGovern fights and Dempsey makes news in 1931.

                           CHAMPION TERRY McGOVERN MEETS WHITE

(Chicago Tribune, Tuesday, April 17, 1900)

Terry McGovern, bantamweight, featherweight and knockout champion, will tonight at 
Tattersall's fight his fifth battle in Chicago. In turn he easily disposed of Billy 
Rotchford, Patsey Haley, Billy Smith, and Eddy Santry. Tommy White, the 126-pound 
champion of America, is the man selected to face the little man from Brooklyn in his 
fifth battle before a local crowd.

In making the match McGovern took his first step toward the lightweight
division, the premier honors of which he appears to be at some time destined
to caputre. McGovern, having beaten all the men of the featherweight
division, is sighting for higher honors, and the upward march must before
long lead him to lay siege to the championship citadel now occupied by Frank

In making the match with White, Sam Harris, manager of McGovern, says it is
only a six-round argument, but for a longer route he might hesitate about
giving away weight. The apology is hardly necessary, as few ring followers
doubt McGovern's ability to clean up most of the aspiring lightweights
without any trouble.

White is without doubt one of the cleverest fighters and ring generals that
McGovern has yet met. While never classed as a knockout fighter he has in
his long career met and defeated many men who could outslug him. His
gameness is unquestioned, and he will not, like many of McGovern's victims,
be beaten before he gets in the ring. If defeated, he will go down with
colors flying, and should he be on his feet at the end of the sixth round it
is safe to assert he will have as many points to his credit as McGovern.

In order to beat him McGovern will have to bore in, for at long range work
White is easily his superior. White's friends are confident his experience
and clever defense will carry him safely through the six rounds, but the
large majority of ring followers, who have seen Terry accomplish his jig
time knockouts, feel just as sure that he will stop White before the limit
is reached. White has trained hard for the bout and is in the best of
condition. McGovern has not prepared especially for the contest, but as
usual is never far from being at his best. White is expected to come in the
ring at between 128 and 130 pounds and McGovern will probably scale about
four pounds less. Whatever the outcome the battle is sure to be spirited.
Much interest is being manifested in the contest and the advance sale of
seats points to a crowded house.

In the preliminary bouts Jack Moffat will make his first appearance before
one of the big local clubs since he broke his arm in New York. He will meet
Jim Adams of Omaha, a light heavyweight, who has been seen in a number of
bouts around Chicago, his last appearance being against Bob Long, with whom
he fought a draw. Billy Elmer, the actor p;ugilist, who appeared for a long
time in the ring scene in "Sporting Life," will face Barney Connors, the
local middleweight. Elmer has fought a number of battles, but has not been
in the ring for some time. Three other preliminary bouts are billed.

George Siler and Malachy Hogan will referee.

McGOVERN FAILS TO WIN AT TATTERSALL'S (Chicago Tribune, Wednesday, April 18, 1900) For eighteen minutes last night Tommy White stood in the path of a McGovern cyclone and emerged comparatively unscathed at the finish. In addition to this the Chicago 126-pounder started a little whirlwind on his own account at the finish which sent the Brooklyn wonder to his corner with a look of regret on his face. McGovern was sad because White had, as he claimed, hung on to him unnecessarily. The 9,000 spectators who journeyed to Tattersall's to witness the encounter cared naught for this. they had seen the phenomenal Terry in action for six full rounds and had seen a local man accompany him the entire distance. As round after round went by and White walked to his corner the cheering grew louder and louder. And when, in the last round, White started his own little breeze of uppercuts and jabs the crowd broke out in wild applause, which was renewed as the contestants in the memorable battle filed their way to the dressing rooms. It was a contest that will live long on the local annals of the game. McGovern, who had been seen in four contests in the same ring, had easily disposed of Rotchford, Haley, Smith and Santry, and was thought by most of the crowd to be able to give White his quietus before the end of six rounds. In this he failed signally, and though he lost no friends by his failure, the honors of the go were given to White. The one weak point of the contest was the agreement that if both men were on their feet there was to be no decision. The concession, it is claimed, was demanded by Sam Harris, McGovern's manager, by reason of his man having to concede ten pounds in weight. It is doubtful if White weighed more than five pounders over his opponent, but he was willing to accede to the request, and the Tattersall's association announced the conditions previous to the contest. What the result would have been had a decision been rendered rests with Referee Siler. McGovern was the aggressor in the first five rounds, and though many times wild in his attack he sent home many hard blows on his opponent. White clinched many times to save himself and had a clean knockdown registered against him. All this while he put up a good game fight and kept his faculties in fast working order. In the last round he cleanly outpointed his man, but it is doubtful if his work in this would have entitled him to an even break. White, in addition to having a slight advantage in height, weight, and reach, was in better condition. Not that McGovern was much out of shape, but coming in after being on the road with a show does not leave a man exactly on edge. His vigorous style of fighting, if continued for a few rounds, is bound to tell, and this was the case last night, for after the first three rounds the champion slowed down and his blows lacked their usual steam. It was 10:40 o'clock before the preliminary bouts were over. These were of mediocre character, the Schultz-Sherlock bout being the best contested. Barney Connors was too heavy and strong for Billy Elmer of San Francisco, the actor-pugilist. Though defeated, Elmer put up a game fight and took a hard grueling until his seconds mercifully threw up the towel. Jack Moffat, who made his first appearance since he broke his left forearm against George Gardiner in New York, entered the ring too soon and again fractured a small bone. The injury, though not so serious as the first one, will keep him out of the ring for some time. In Jim Adams of Omaha he met an opponent fully fifteen pounds heavier than himself. Moffat got the decision. After the pair had left the ring there was a short pause and then the cheering announced the coming of the principals in the windup. White, accompanied by Harry Gilmore, Henry Stender, and Willie McGurn, was the first to enter the ring. McGovern came a few seconds later with Sam Harris, Kid Bernstein, Charley Mayhood, and his constant attendant, Constable Nelson. White had seated himself in the corner occupied by McGovern in his previous fights, and Terry, deeming it his lucky seat, insisted on tossing for it. He won, and White smilingly took the opposite chair. After receiving instructions from Referee Siler the men sat smiling, awaiting the tap of the bell. White shook his first at McGovern, who broadened his smile in response. The gong sounded, and McGovern almost sprinted across the ring to White. White, unliked many of the Brooklynite's victims, did not appear to be hypnotized by the fast moving fists confronting him. McGovern finally let go a right which landed on White's shoulder, and the battle was on. The little Brooklynite was the personification of energy, and White's defensive abilities were taxed to the utmost. He ducked, clinched, and blocked as best he could, but the flail-like arms of Terry were ever on the move, and many blows went home. The I-told-you-so portion of the crowd settled down, looking for a speedy termination. White slipped over, and rested on his knee for a count of eight. He then jabbed Terry's face to show he was still in the fight. McGovern then fell over, and a few seconds later White did the same thing. McGovern then let go a left swing, which avoided by dropping to his knee. The bell rang and the first stage of the journey was reached. The looked-for knockout did not materialize in the second round. McGovern began a fusillade of short-arm blows for the body, but here White's generalship came into play, and he soon clinched to a safe position. In the middle of the round White took a hand at attacking, and two stiff jabs on Terry's nose brought applause. Terry never let up in his attack, but many times was wild. He would make a short swing with his left and then send his right hard, followed by another left, and they came so fast that White, clever as he was, had to take them. Terry went to his corner, his reddened face showing signs of his exertion. Early in the third round McGovern sent his right over White's right eye, cutting a bad gash from which the blood flowed freely. Terry was anxious and wildly forced the pace. He tried a hard left uppercut and fell against White on the ropes. After much hard fighting Terry swung his left to the breast, scoring a clean knockdown. White did not appear dazed, but took a count of eight, and when Terry foxily walked behind him he wheeled around on his knees and faced him. The sound of the bell brought a rousing cheer from the crowd, which began to realize that White had a good chance to go the limit. In the fourth round McGovern again fell over after making two wild swings. McGovern got White in the corner and rained in several savage blows, but White came out strong and fought back. Fighting in the fifth round was slower. When the sixth started most of the spectators looked for a repetition of the previous rounds, with White mostly on the defensive. After several clinches White suddenly let himself out. Starting his attack with a long, swinging uppercut, he connected hard with Terry's body. Then he drove a similar blow to the chin, fololowed with another. McGovern was astonished, even if not damaged, and set out to reply in kind. White met him with a stiff left jab and then again uppercut him. He had all the better of the round, and stalled McGovern's hard rush at the finish by clinching. McGovern said after the battle that it was a hard task to give a man weight and then have him hang on. "He's too quick and too heavy for me," the little champion added, "and let me tell you that anybody who says White can't hit hard is a fool. He hit me harder than anybody I ever met." White said: "The blow which cut my eye was not one that McGovern delivered, but was the result of his rushing into me; but of course that is the luck of a fight. The blow which McGovern landed on my jaw in the first round was the hardest I ever got in my life; but when I got up I was all right and I said to myself: 'Well, I don't believe he can land one any harder than that and it didn't put me out, so I'm all right.'" The first preliminary to the McGovern-White fight was between Young Malone and Sammy Keefe of Chicago at 118 pounds. The fight was stopped in the third round, Keefe being practically out. Kid Schultz was given the decision over Joe Sherlock at the end of the sixth round. The men fought at 122 pounds. Barney Connors of Chicago defeated Billy Elmer, the actor, of San Francisco, in the third round, the fight being stopped by Referee Siler. Elmer was knocked down clean in the first round, again in the second, but knocked Connors against the ropes immediately after regaining his feet. Elmer was groggy when he went to his corner in the second and was weak when he came up for the third. Connors battered him badly, and when the fight was stopped Elmer was covered with blood. He made a remarkably game fight, and resisted fiercely when his seconds tried to take him to his corner. The round had gone one minute and ten seconds when Connors was given the decision. The men fought at 150 pounds. "Kid" Garfield was given the decision on points over Henry Lumbard at the end of six rounds. Jack Moffat of Chicago outpointed Jim Adams of Omaha in six rather slow rounds. This was Moffat's first appearance since he broke his left arm in a fight in New York several months ago, but in spite of that handicap the fight was his from the first. Moffat injured his arm in the final round, but not seriously.
MATTY MATTHEWS WHIPS BILLY SMITH (Special to the Chicago Tribune, April 18, 1900) NEW YORK, April 17 -- At the Broadway Athletic Club tonight, the welterweight championship of the world changed hands from "Mysterious Billy" Smith to Matty Matthews of New York. The New Yorker solved the hitherto unsolvable mystery with a right-hand punch on the jaw in the nineteenth round, sending Smith to the land of dreams. Matthews won from the first sound of the gong. He outpoined and outgeneraled his opponent, and, although his blows were not so hard, they were cleaner, and always went to the mark. The fight was fast all the way, and was witnessed by fully 4,000 spectators, who cheered Matthews wildly at the finish. Before the fight the betting was lively, Smith the favorite at 100 to 60. In the first round Matthews was forced to the floor with a right on the kidneys, and later went down from a clinch in his own corner. Matthews had the better of the fourth round, meeting Smith's rushes with stiff lefts and rights on the body. Matthews kept leading his left to the face, but Billy's kidney blows had his body almost raw at the close of the fifth round. Smith kept forcing, but Matthews met him with stiff facers every time. Smith was repeatedly cautioned for unfair fighting. When they came out for the ninth, Matthews swung his right to the jaw, and followed with two more of the same, and Billy began to look serious. In the eleventh Matthews rushed and three times landed his right on the jaw, and both fell to the floor in a clinch. Matthews' work had the crowd on its feet, cheering, when the bell rang. Matty was after him fast in the twelfth, and time and again swung his right to the face and jaw. Smith was bleeding from the mouth, but fought back like a fiend, and drove some terrible rights to Matthews' body. Left jabs started Smith's nose bleeding in the thirteenth, and worried him considerably. Both landed heavily with rights on the head in the fourteenth, and Billy's left eye was cut and bleeding from Matty's jabs. Billy cut out the work in the fifteenth, and pounded Matty hard about the body. A left swing on the jaw and a shove forced Matthews to the floor, but he was right up and finished strong. Matthews showed the effects of Smith's body punches in the sixteenth. He was much slower, and did not seem to willing to mix it up. Just before the bell he swung his right to the jaw, but Billy only smiled. It was Smith's round. It was even up in the seventeenth. Matty landed hard with his right on the jaw, but it did not seem to bother Smith, who countered with his right under the heart. Matthews looked tired. They went through the eighteenth with little done, Smith having a trifle the better of it. Smith was the aggressor in the nineteenth, and at close quarters beat Matthews hard about the body. In the clinch he threw Matty to the floor. He was up immediately, and Smith apologized and shook hands. Matty then swung his right to the jaw for a knockdown. Smith was up and clinched. Matty threw him off, and twice more landed the same punch, the last one dropping Smith clean. He was unable to rise to the count, and had to be carried to his corner. Time of round, 28 seconds.
DEMPSEY GETS INTO ANOTHER ARGUMENT (Chicago Tribune, Saturday, January 17, 1931) NEW YORK, Jan. 16 (Special) -- Jack Dempsey refereed his second fight in New York tonight and was involved in his second unsatisfactory ending to a ring battle. The ex-heavyweight champion was the third man in the ring in the scheduled ten-round bout between Max Baer, California's young heavyweight, and Tom Heeney, New Zealand veteran, at Madison Square Garden. The fight ended in a knockout victory for Baer in the third round, and a lot of excitement, confusion, controversy and argumentative discussion among some 8,000 fight fans who viewed the spectacle. Whether Baer was entitled to the credit for a knockout victory was a disputed point when hostilities abruptly ended. In the third rounder, under a fiery volley of lefts and rights to the head and body with which Baer pelted his foe as he rushed the New Zealander across the ring, Heeney, more through the force of Baer's rush than from a vital punch, slipped through the ropes near his own corner. He fell heavily, but slowly, and was assisted back into the ring by the upward push of three writers into whose laps he threatened to fall. Dempsey, thinking he was pickuping up the count correctly, tolled off eight seconds over Heeney, who was kneeling awaiting the full benefit of a nine-count, and abruptly Arthur Donovan, knockdown time keeper, at the ringside, halted the downard bang of his gavel, indicating that Heeney had been counted out. Dempsey was surprised by the interruption, and Heeney jumped erect, ready to resume the battle. Heeney protested strenuously. He was not hurt. Baer acted as if surprised himself and would have resumed the action with Heeney had not Dempsey informed them both that the timing watches had recorded the ten-second count from the time Heeney went through the ropes until Dempsey's right arm dropped on the eighth second in the former champion's count. It was explained after the bout that Heeney was out of the ring for two seconds before being shoved back on the battle platform, and that Dempsey overlooked this elapsed time when he started counting in the mistaken belief that no count had been recorded until Heeney returned to the ring. Gen. John J. Phelan of the state athletic commission, in charge of the scene in the absence of Chairman James A. Farley, who is ill, announced after the bout that under the rules of the commission Heeney was automatically disqualified when he permitted himself to be assisted back into the ring -- a rule adopted after Dempsey's battlle against Luis Angel Firpo. The ending to the bout was an injustice to Heeney and a keen disappointment to the crowd, in the opinion of many at the ringside. Heeney could have regained his feet before the expiration of ten seconds, had he known the count was confused. Unofficially the bout was a moral victory for Heeney, who, thought to be beyond recall as a ring competitor and more or less of a trial for Baer, actually outfought the California youth in the first two rounds, giving better than he received in spirited exchanges, leaping in valiantly on the attack, bucking or dodging Baer's wild swings and countering himself with solid smashes to the body and head. In the second round Baer fought savagely and pounded the body severely, but Heeney took the blows, gave his own in return and outboxed and outscored the younger heavyweight at long range.